...

4.10.10

Letters from Iwo Jima

Plot:
The island of Iwo Jima stands between the American military force and the home islands of Japan. Therefore the Imperial Japanese Army is desperate to prevent it from falling into American hands and providing a launching point for an invasion of Japan. General Tadamichi Kuribayashi is given command of the forces on the island and sets out to prepare for the imminent attack. General Kuribayashi, however, does not favor the rigid traditional approach recommended by his subordinates, and resentment and resistance fester among his staff. In the lower echelons, a young soldier, Saigo, a poor baker in civilian life, strives with his friends to survive the harsh regime of the Japanese army itself, all the while knowing that a fierce battle looms. When the American invasion begins, both Kuribayashi and Saigo find strength, honor, courage, and horrors beyond imagination. Written by Jim Beaver mailto:%7Bjumblejim@prodigy.net}

My thoughts:
I have never watched this film before, however tonight it is on t.v therefore I tracked down the film so that I could watch it. As it is on from 23:35 until 02:15 I did not want to become tired and have to sleep rather than watch all of the film.




My reason for watching Letters from Iwa Jima is because one of the actors in this film Ninomiya Kazunari, therefore I took this opportunity to watch the film as I do want to watch all the things 攐Arashi have been in.

I have not watched many war movies but the ones I have watched have all been told from the Americans point of view and how America won the war, so it was good to see a film being told from the Japanese point of view.




I think what I liked the most about this film was that Saigo the character played by Nino is from Ohmiya and is a baker, this was like playing homage to the NinoxOhno &Ohno's love for bread wanting to be a baker (^.^)/




I did not expect this film to be in Japanese as much as it was, since for some reason people over here seem to have a problem with subtitles / anything in another language.

I also think this is the first film I have watched which is directed by Clint Eastwood.




I also did not know that Nino had such a big role, I just assumed it would be a small cameo or more like that of the actor Nakamura Shido, whom plays Lieutenant Ito (he has a big role but not that big a role), therefore I was happy he had so much screen time.



Although I do not like to watch war films, I would probably watch this next time it is on tv.

I think Ninomiya Kazunari did a good job in this film.

No comments:

Post a Comment